Monday, April 27, 2009

What's this 5:16 thing about?

Go to Like a warm cup of coffee: The List Grows... and find out....

I found it through Holley. She started it by sharing a beautiful story, which I'm going to share too:

The crowd is thick--joyful, busy, full of life. But she is alone, afraid, wondering if she should even be there. For years no one has touched her. The elbows jostling, arms bumping, and shoulders brushing feel welcome and uncomfortable.

Then she sees the one she has been waiting for during twelve long years of suffering. Perhaps she had been in the crowd many times. But today she slips through the people, tentatively at first, and then using her elbows, voice, and hands until she stands within a foot or so of him. Fear grips her, taunting thoughts run through her mind, but she has come too far to turn away now.

One trembling hand reaches out and touches the edge of His cloak. In an instant she feels the pain stop and then a sudden, inexplicable surge of joy. She knows she has found healing, hope, life--everything that has been missing for so long.

He turns and asks, "Who touched me?"

She hadn't expected this. Her plan had been to remain unnoticed. But Jesus asks, and trembling, she finally answers.

He looks at her with eyes of love, eyes that seem to really know, and says, "Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace" (Luke 8:48).

Like Holley, I never seem to take that one last step. I take baby steps but I never seem to go all the way. Darn me and my lack of self-control! After reading her post and then visiting the 5:16 post, I went ahead and did it. I signed up for the 5:16 club (Gal. 5:16). It's a group of women who are committed to spending time with God each morning. You can read more about how it started here. You can choose whatever time you'd like but I picked 5:00.

Dear Lord, I pray for Your presence to wake me up and welcome me in to time with you. On my own, I will not do it. Amen!

“I earnestly recommend that it be in the early morning, unless there are some extenuating circumstances. Entering the day without a serious meeting with God, over his Word and in prayer, is like entering the battle without tending to your weapons. The human heart does not replenish itself with sleep. The body does, but not the heart. We replenish our hearts not with sleep, but with the Word of God and prayer.”
John Piper

2 comments:

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

I found the 5:16 group today through Holley as well. It sounds like a great idea, I am excited to be part of it!

Sarah Mae said...

YAY! I'm so glad you are joining us! I will add you to the list! :)