Monday, May 4, 2009

Update on McShane

Where has the time gone? I didn't realize it had been so long since I posted about McShane! I updated the McShane post (button over there >>) but I thought I'd post this new too, so you wouldnt' necessarily have to scroll through the whole story find the newest update. (Of course if you don't know about whom I'm speaking, then click that McShane button and read all about it!)

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've updated you on McShane. His treatment has just been steady going with some minor bumps along the way. James & I were able to go to Memphis a couple of weeks ago and it was good to see how well McShane was doing.

He's lost his hair and the place where he had his leg biopsy is nasty wound. He has some type of wound sucking machine hooked up to his leg. The chemo has made it so it's hard for him to heal so he's just keepin' on keepin' on. His spirits are pretty good. Also, he knows exactly what is going on and is determined to not be a statistic of defeat.

Pretty soon, he'll be having surgery on his leg. I do not know all the specifics, but here's what I do know...The doctor will be cutting his leg open from above the knee to about midway down his shin. They will be removing the tumor and his knee parts (but not his knee cap). They will be inserting a steel rod into his femur and one of the other bones (I don't know if it's the fibula/tibia/both) and they will rebuild his knee. He will be in a wheelchair for a number of weeks. He wants to be able to walk by June 22, which is his 14th birthday. He seemed scared and apprehensive about this surgery (and who could blame him)?

He was supposed to have surgery this Thursday, 5/7; however, the chemo has left his mouth full of painful sores and they want him to heal from those.

As soon as I know more, I will let you know. If you want his mailing address, please let me know. I'm sure he'd love to receive cards and things! If you know of people in Memphis who you think would be willing to go and visit with McShane & Mike, please email me for the contact information.

Thank you for praying for McShane and Mike. It means more than we'll ever be able to tell you.

3 comments:

~Sandy said...

Just stopping by from SITS and wanted to say hello! Great blog! I hope you have a wonderful Tuesday! Now I'm off to read more:)
Hugs, Sandy

Mary said...

Praying for Mike and McShane! Thanks for keeping me updated.

Lora said...

Cathy,

Thank you so much for the McShane update. And I was excited to read that McShane and I share the same birthday! I will not be 14 this year though.

Blesssings to you!