Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Tip from Hungry Girl

Don't you just love milkshakes and ice cream? I sure do - it's one of the pleasures that James & I both have so we have to really limit our trips to the ice cream shop. I got this article in an email today or yesterday and thought I'd pass it along to you. It's courtesy of HungryGirl.

Shake Down
If we're being honest (and we always are), we need to let you in on a little secret. Vanilla milkshakes are one of our greatest weaknesses. They're thick, creamy, frozen, and completely delicious. Unfortunately, behind most thick and delicious milkshakes lies a TON of fat and calories, usually due to TOO MUCH ice cream and full-fat milk.


For example, the crazy Vanilla Hand-Scooped Ice Cream Shake at Carl's Jr. has 710 calories and 33g fat (POINTS® value 17*), which is more calories and almost as much fat as the chain's Famous Star with Cheese hamburger. Yikes!

Chances are, when you get a milkshake, it's only PART of your meal. And frankly, no one needs to add hundreds and hundreds of calories' worth of drinkable ice cream to a meal. Need a reasonable solution?

DRINK OUR MILKSHAKE INSTEAD. Seriously! Our shake is delicious and thick with a sweet 'n creamy vanilla flavor you'll LOVE. (The picture is from their website.)

'Nilla Light!
Pretty much EVERYONE is gonna love this creamy, dreamy vanilla-licious shake. So grab your shake stuff and toss one together, Blendy!


Ingredients:
1/2 cup Breyers Double Churn Free Creamy Vanilla fat-free ice cream
1/2 cup light vanilla soymilk
1/2 tbsp. Coffee-mate Sugar Free French Vanilla powdered creamer
2 no-calorie sweetener packets (like Splenda or Truvia)
1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup crushed ice or 5 - 7 ice cubes
2 tbsp. Fat Free Reddi-wip
Optional: maraschino cherry


Directions:
Place powdered creamer in a small dish, and add 1/2 tbsp. very hot water.
Stir until powder dissolves, and then transfer mixture to a blender.
Add all other ingredients except the Reddi-wip to the blender.
Blend at high speed until completely mixed.
Pour into your favorite glass and top with Reddi-wip. If you like, finish it off with a cherry!


MAKES 1 SERVING
Serving Size: 16 oz. w/ whipped topping (entire shake)
Calories: 155
Fat: 2.5g
Sodium: 108mg
Carbs: 28.5g
Fiber: 3g
Sugars: 16g
Protein: 6g
POINTS® value 3*



(Non-Hungry Girl Shake)


Serving Size: 16 oz. w/ whipped topping (standard medium shake)
Calories: 648
Fat: 27.5g
Sodium: 293mg
Carbs: 88.5g
Fiber: 0g
Sugars: 62g
Protein: 13g
POINTS® value 15*



YOWZA! If you try this before I do, let me know. I'm not so keen on soy-milk, but I'm thinking if it's blended in with other things then I might be ok!

5 comments:

Cathy said...

You got my attention. 155 cal. as opposed to 710. Gotta give it a try!

Mommy Bear said...

mmm I love milkshakes! I will definitely have to try that.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I enjoyed reading your blog tonight....Love milkshakes

Love it when I have time to do blog hopping...

I always enjoy finding new blogs!
This month I am posting on our Disney trip.

Cathy said...

It's me again, I haven't tried this yet, but I still want to. By the way, read my post when you get time, you've been tagged!!!

Unknown said...

yummm..that sounds great!! hope you are having a wonderful summer...:))