Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Wednesday Weigh In

I joined Weight Watchers on August 4, 2009, about a week after I found out I had hypothyroidism.  If you know anything about hypothyroidism, then you might think that my joining Weight Watchers is a little counterproductive and you'd be right!  If you don't know about hypothyroidism, the short of it is that my thyroid just doesn't really work anymore and as a result I'm REALLY tired and I have a very slow functioning metabolism.  Slow metabolism/desire to lose weight = difficult!  Exercise/being extremely tired = impossible!
When I found out I had hypothyroidism, I knew I couldn't use this as an excuse to just gain weight.  (Shew, I had gained enough!)  SO, I joined Weight Watchers to help keep me accountable and so I would eat healthy (and not munch on fried chicken, because we love each other, but it sticks around too much).
I am enjoying making new friends and having the encouragement of other women battling this crazy enemy called weight loss. There's another lady who has battled with hypothyroidism for about 20 years.  It's nice to have someone to talk to about both of my issues.
As of Tuesday, I have lost 5 pounds.  It's almost discouraging, but then I think combine all the weight I've lost since March.  Like the little tortoise, I'm just running a steady race and at least I'm running, right?  In total I've lost about 23 pounds.  Yippee!
As to the hypothyroidism, I was put on medicine and now the doctor just works at getting the levels tweaked.  My first follow up blood test was last week, so I'll find out if I need to make adjustments.  
(I love the little Hungry fella!)

(PS -- Feel free to email me if you have questions about hypothyroidism :-)!)

2 comments:

Teena in Toronto said...

I'm hypo too ... I'm on meds for it.

Happy blogoversary!

Lora said...

Any weight loss is good! You are going in the right direction Cathy!