Monday, December 7, 2009

Put off the Old and Put on the New


The following is from the prayer journal I received from e3 Partners prior to leaving for my trip. It was a great prayer journal and it got me in the habit of journaling, which is really neat to look back on, even if just a few days, and see how God is working in your life. The list below was included in the journal and I've found it very useful and I wanted to share with you! I hope you are able to use it in your daily prayer time.

From the journal:
We put off the old and put on the new-
Consider the aspects of your "old nature" that keep getting in the way of your living the life you desire to live and put them off as Paul instructs (Ephesians 4:22-24). But don't stop there. Ask God to help you put on those opposite positive character traits that will strengthen you for His life and service, such as:

Help me to put off pride (Proverbs 16:5)--and
put on humility (James 4:6).

Help me to put off my critical nature (Galatians 5:15)--and
put on kindness (Colossians 3:12).

Help me to put off lack of love (John 4:7, 8, 20)--and
put on unconditional love (John 15:12).

Help me to put off worry (John 14:1a)---and
put on faith and trust in God (John 14:1b).

Help me to put off impatience (James 1:2-4)--and
put on patience (Hebrews 10:36).

Help me to put off unforgiveness (Mark 11:26)--and
put on forgiveness (Colossians 3:13).

Help me to put off my temper (Proverbs 25:28)--and
put on self-control (Proverbs 16:23).

Help me put off unbelief (Hebrews 3:12)--and
put on faith (Hebrews 11:1, 6).

Help me put off neglect of Bible study (2 Timothy 3:14-17)--and
put on Bible study, meditation (Psalm 1:2).

Help me put off lack of burden for the lost (Matthew 9:36-38)--and
put on compassion, witnessing (Acts 1:8).

Help me put off lies and exaggerations (Ephesians 3:25)--and
put on speaking the truth (Zechariah 8: 16).

Help me put off prayerlessness (l Samuel 12:23)--and
put on praying (I Thessalonians 5:17).

Help me put off procrastination (Proverbs 10:5)--and
put on diligence (Proverbs 27:1).

Help me put off gluttony (Proverbs 23:21)--and
put on discipline (I Corinthians 9:27).

Are there any you can put off and put on that you'd be willing to share?  I'm a work in progress and I'm so glad I can come to Him and ask to be made new.  Amen?!

(When I was looking for a picture, I came across this article from eHow - How to Keep a Prayer Journal.  So, in case you didn't know how or why, there's some instruction. Also, the article had this: A great online journaling program is Go-Journal found at http://www.go-journal.com/. Or, you can ask me or someone else.  I believe journaling and daily prayer time looks different for everyone! The picture is from the eHow site.)

1 comments:

PJ said...

Hey Gal! I loved your post. It really makes a person sit up and take note about themself. I have tried to journal I don't know how many times, but I get side tracked and forget to put entries, and just give up. I figure once I get this "blogging down to an "art", it will have me in the habit of doing this on a regular basis and then it wouldn't be a big jump to prayer journaling. As I said, I've started several, just to put them aside. I would probably have a deeper prayer life if I would journal. My best friend does it, but she doesn't have so many distactions and she's been doing it for years. I let the computer, and tv take up too much of my time. I know, I need to remedy that situation. I started to say, "I'm getting better, but I'm not really, I traded several hours of tv for the computer. Although, what I do on the computer is Bible related. I read and comment on the Bible Page, or work on my Devotional for my blog. I'm better about that also. I used to play games all the time. Oh, and I was reading the Bible on line until I started blogging, so most of my computer stuff is about my relationship with God, or Blblically related. OK, enough justification LOL! Love ya!

PJ