Sunday, June 5, 2011

Why Go?

In a couple of weeks, my oldest daughter and I will be headed to Honduras on a mission trip with our church. We wanted to go on a mission trip together and this seemed like just the place for us to go! (I tried to get her to agree to India, but so far the love God has given me for India has not really made it to anyone else in the family.)

The timing of the trip and trying to raise funds has been difficult, in light of the devastating events in our state and in other parts of the country. It was very difficult to ask for money to go overseas when there is so much to do right here in our own area. I've been asked why would I go overseas when there is so much to do here...in our local community, area, country.

Well, the first reason is because Jesus told us to go and He gives the resources to go. The second reason is...well...He's done so much in my life that I just want everyone to know. I want His glory to shine through the world.  I am overwhelmed by His grace and mercy. I want that girl who has been rescued from the sex trade to know that through the blood of Jesus Christ, she is pure. She is dressed in robes of righteousness. She is adorned with His jewels. She is loved by the Creator. That her life is worth so much than she could ever imagine. God knows the plans He has for her and He sent His one and only Son for her. Through Jesus Christ she can overcome the past. I know this because it's what He's done for me. (There are a lot of "I"'s in this paragraph but it's all about Him.)

Of course, my past was a series of bad choices and decisions not actions that others took on my behalf. But, I still came to Him broken and unpure. And oh how He loves me and has redeemed me. I will go and share wherever He sends me and desires for me to go. How can I not share what He's done in me?

But again, why do I have to go "to the ends of the earth" when I could share that same information here with people? Because...He tells me to do so. It makes a difference to hear the Good News from someone who is different from you and who has different experiences than you. It's one of those times when it is really great to be different. It's the difference that allows God's glory to shine through.

But what about the people here? I don't know about you, but I don't even have to leave my house to see a ministry need. Can I get an amen?!?

I share God's story from afar with the people here. Because, there is something to be said when you can hear the story first hand and from someone you know.  Don't you agree?

When I was first sending out letters requesting donations, I asked, "How can I send out letters asking for money when we've just had devastating tornadoes blow through our state and funds are being used for those people?" I was told, "You have to do what God has called you to do and believe and trust in Him for the rest." Meagan and I needed $3,000. We have almost $2,500! How great is our God?  I stand amazed at Him and all that He's done.

Next time you wonder why someone is going so far away when so much can be done here, I challenge you to ask yourself..."Why am I asking that? What am I doing, locally or away? How can I help here or there? What does missions look for me?" Don't just ask and not do - ask the One who knows all what YOU can do for Him. It's worth it of that I know!

Thank you for your support and your prayers are surely coveted!


Acts 1:8 (NIV)
"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."


Matthew 28:19 (NIV) 
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit..."

3 comments:

Grace houle said...

I am glad you are being obedient to what God has called you to do. It is hard to obey God sometimes when others who may mean well, try to sidetrack. But we have to stay focus on the cross, and listen to what God has specifically for each one of us.

Unknown said...

Thank you. Being obedient isn't always easy - I wish I could say I'm 100% obedient 100% of the time but I can't say that. The natural self just doesn't want to yield all the time!

PJ said...

Hey Cathy! I admire you so much for going on these mission trips. I know God does and will reward you for obeying His Word. After all, He does tell us to go all over the world and preach the gospel. I know that He realizes that the work y'all put into raising the funds to go definitely shows sacrifice on your part. We don't go on mission trips, but I try to do my part by getting God's Word out by using my blog for His purpose (as do you) and witnessing to everyone who God leads to me or me to as He prepares their hearts.
God Bless you,
PJ