Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Great Eight, Scott Hamilton




The Great Eight
How to Be Happy (Even When You Have Every Reason to be Miserable)
Jacketed Hardcover
By Scott Hamilton

Olympic Gold Medal figure skater Scott Hamilton shares his eight secrets to finding happiness in the face of a life filled with challenges, difficulties, and career-canceling odds.

With never-been-told, behind-the-scenes stories from the skating world, personal challenges including testicular cancer and a brain tumor, as well as divine miracles, Olympic Gold Medal figure skater Scott Hamilton shares the secrets to his lifelong journey to find the silver (and gold) lining in the clouds of life. His life principles, fashioned into eight secrets that begin with the rote of learning to skate the figure 8, are the keys. Scott says, "Skating taught me how to be happy. I have always kept these eight as my own private, personal secrets that I practiced daily with repetition, focus, and discipline. Now I want to share them with the world."

Endorsements
"For the past twenty-seven years, Scott Hamilton has been a mentor and good friend. I've seen firsthand the struggles he has had to endure and how he has continued to persevere with a confident attitude. Everyone needs the positive message of this greatly inspiring book." -Kristi Yamaguchi, Olympic Gold Medalist

"I know and love Scotty Hamilton. You will, too, after you read this book." -William Shatner

"Scott Hamilton is a champion in more ways than one. In addition to being one of the world's greatest ice skaters, he has mastered adversity and a multitude of challenges. The Great Eight is an inspiration to us all." -Donald J. Trump

"Within the metaphors of his skating career, the wisdom in this book is not only very inspiring and easy to grasp but also surrounded by great storytelling." -Brad Paisley, Grammy Award-winning artist

My review:
Well, I'm just tickled that I have a quote from Captain Kirk on my blog! tee hee

I have been a fan of Scott Hamilton for as long as I can remember. He is part of the reason I really enjoy watching figure skating, especially when he's the commentator. He always seems so happy go lucky and upbeat.

I enjoyed reading about his start into ice skating and how he conquered the odds and became a success. There were times I felt like if I was on the ice rink I could skate just like Scott because his illustrations were vivid.

The book is an easy read. To me it was more of an autobiography and not a how to be happy book. I didn't learn anything new about being happy that I didn't already know. I would recommend this book if you like Scott Hamilton and ice skating, but not if you're wanting a self-help book.








“The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.” Zephaniah 3:17

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I love Scott Hamilton too. I may have to check the library for this one!

Lora said...

Are you a Thomas Nelson book reviewer too?! This post made me think of my Dorothy Hamil haircut in the seventies!

Unknown said...

Yes! I'm a TM BRB! I love combining reading and reviewing and blogging all together :-)!

Dorothy Hamil is mentioned in the book...did you have her shampoo?? (I had her cut too!)