Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wednesday Weigh-In


Hey, guess what day it is?  Wednesday Weigh-In...

I don't have "I lost weight" this week.  I gained .6 lbs, but considering Hungry got a hold of me and wouldn't let go, I'm not surprised or disappointed.  I'm still down a total of 6 lbs.

My goal for this week is to WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN.  (It makes a huge difference.)

I'm sharing info this week from Hungry Girl and she's talkin' about bagels.  YUM!

If you want bagels that are low in calories and you're not a total bagel snob (NY bagels are great, I know!), check out Western Bagel Alternative Bagels and Kim's Light Bagels (each of those has about 110 calories). They both can be ordered online, come in lots of flavors, taste great, and are low in calories and high in fiber. All excellent things. They're not huge, obviously, but they're not too small either. Another good find for a bagel fix is the Kraft Bagel-fuls line -- bagel-ish pockets with cream cheese inside for around 200 calories each.
If you insist on buying your bagels while you're out and about, you're entering into another category completely. Bakery-bought bagels typically have 350 - 550 calories, depending on how big they are. And NYC is known to have giant bagels, so watch out. If you scoop the dough-y part out from inside your bagel, my guess is that you'll easily shave off 100 calories. Your bagel will still be pretty high in calories, but I say, save where you can!
As for the cream cheese? Swap it out for a wedge of Laughing Cow Light -- that stuff tastes just as good but has way fewer calories and fat grams. But if that's not available, at least opt for reduced-fat or fat-free cream cheese, and try not to use a crazy amount of it. My personal favorite bagel treat? A low-cal, high-fiber bagel packed with smoked salmon, sliced tomato, and red onion. Yummmmmmmmm!!!

Ordering treats online takes a little more planning than I usually do, so I buy little bagels at the store.  I usually pick up a bag or two of Lender's Little Bagels or 100 calorie bagels.  Weight Watchers has a line of cream cheese.  If I want bagels and cream cheese, I use 3 to 5 points and have one or two little bagels and a serving of cream cheese. 

What about you?  Have any substitution tips you'd like to share?

0 comments: